Karparts Company Logo
a blue Audio car close up of a number plate spelling 'used'

What documents do I need?

On 1st of December 2005 the DVLA changed the documentation required to buy a Number Plate. The following now applies - In order to obtain a Number Plate you will have to provide verification of your current personal details and proof of entitlement to the registration mark quoted.


At least one original document from each of the lists below is required. The combination of the documents must be sufficient to check your name, address and the entitlement.


Top quality number plate fixing in Cheltenham

Do you need a replacement number plate on your new or existing car? Visit Karparts for excellent services at extremely affordable rates. We offer great deals on both number plate fixings and stick on pads.

What do we do?

  • Car number plates

  • Motorbike/motorcycle number plates

  • Classic number plates

  • Light commercial number plates

  • Trailer number plates

  • Show plates

  • Learner plates

Serving Cheltenham, Charlton Kings, Gloucester, Forest of Dean, Evesham, Cirencester and the surrounding areas. Call

01242 572 638

"Really impressed with the service. Friendly reliable and well-priced."

- Robert Goodwin – Leckhampton

a black convertible

A driving licence whether or not issued in the United Kingdom (with or without a photograph). This is preferred because it is a secure, government-issued document showing both name and address, or:

Proof of identity

  • A current bill issued by an electricity, gas or water supplier, a landline telephone bill or a council tax bill

  • A bank or building society statement

  • A passport (whether issued or not in the United Kingdom)

  • A national identity card issued by the Government of a state or territory other than the United Kingdom

  • A debit or credit card issued by a bank or building society (the requirement for a photograph no longer applies)

  • A police warrant card    

  • An armed forces identity card

Proof of entitlement

  • The preferred document is a Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C).

  • The tear - off slip (V5C/2) from V5C (Section 10)

  • Certificate of entitlement to a mark (V750)

  • Cherished transfer retention document (V778)

  • Vehicle licence renewal form (VI 1)

  • Temporary registration Certificate (V379)

  • Authorisation Certificate (V948) with official DVLA stamp.

  • A letter of authorisation from a fleet operator (including a lease/hire company). The letter must quote the document reference number from the V5C. Quoting the vehicle identification number is no longer acceptable